Dr. Hough's experience includes the following criminal justice, law enforcement, and teaching positions in the past 30 years:
- Consultant and Expert Witness
- Deputy Chief
- Director of Law Enforcement
- Director of Corrections
- Regional Juvenile Detention Center Superintendent
- Division Commander
- Policy Adviser
- Superintendent of two Florida Regional Juvenile Detention Facilities
- Project Director for Conceptual Design & Construction of two County Jails & one Juvenile Boot Camp
- Academy Director (for both law enforcement & corrections)
- Patrol officer, F.T.O., Homicide Detective, Sergeant, Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Captain
Dr. Hough is currently a full-time faculty member in the Department of Criminology & Criminal Justice at the University of West Florida. He is also Coordinator for the University's Public Administration Program. In his college and university teaching capacity over the past 25 years, he has both developed and taught undergraduate and graduate criminal justice and public administration courses focused on law enforcement, investigations, juvenile justice, and corrections practices and policy.
Dr. Hough remains an active law enforcement and corrections academy instructor teaching defensive tactics/use of force, homicide and robbery investigations, substance abuse, mental health populations, juvenile inmates.